Thursday, October 27, 2011

Gluten Free Chocolate Banana Muffins

I have recently found out that I have an allergy to wheat. So.......... I am having to come up with new recipe and creative ideas that don't incorporate any wheat. You don't realize how many pre-made foods and recipes have wheat in them until you can't eat it.

This recipe is the same as my chocolatey chocolate chip Banana muffins but I replaced the flour with gluten free flour.

I actually tried this recipe a couple of times and it is better if you sift the dry ingredients a few times and beat the egg whites before adding them. This helps the muffins stay fluffy instead if dense. I also found that making them in mini size helps them bake quicker. I also tried this recipe with ground flax seed instead of the flour and the mini size works best.  


Preheat oven to 325. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the middle is done. 

  • 3 1/2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp butter - melted
  • 1/3 cup sugar ( I used Organic Whole Cane Sugar-Rapadura)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

No comments:

Post a Comment