Thursday, August 18, 2011

Southwestern Crock Pot Chicken

I made this dish with the expectation that it would be just ok. Like a 6 or 7 out of 10. I was greatly surprised at how flavorful and filling this dish was. I rate it a 10. I will definitely make it again. This would be a great dinner option with enough left over to freeze for another meal or left overs the next day. Let your crock pot make you dinner for a change. Put everything in it except the rice and let it cook all day while you are doing something else!

Ingredients

  • (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast or about 3-4 large pieces
  • 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
  • 15 oz can black beans
  • 12 oz frozen corn
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 14 oz can vegetable broth
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper 
  • 1 tsp salt 
Preparation
Combine vegetable broth, beans, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, scallions, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot. Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 6 hours. Half hour before serving shred chicken and stir in.
 Serve over rice and sprinkle with cheese.





3 comments:

  1. I'm excited about making this for the kids. Everything looks great! You should create a cookbook. I would buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marer. My mom keeps telling me to make a cook book too. I would love to just not sure how yet. Maybe one day! You and the Family will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will try this as a burrito filling now that we can have gluten again.

    ReplyDelete